Issue: April 2020
Uniacke Newsletter Logo
Next deadline: April 24


Uniacke Fire would like to advise that NS Lands and Forests have put a province wide burn ban into effect until at least June 1, 2020 at 11:59pm. Here is the release:


May 20, 2020


• A ban on open fires is in effect to protect Nova Scotia’s forests during the COVID-19 pandemic.

• The ban prohibits open fires for any purpose in woods or within 305 metres (1,000 feet) of woods in any part of the province. The ban does not apply to private campgrounds.

• Fire ban and restrictions

A ban on open fires in the woods or within 305 metres (1,000 feet) of the woods is in effect until June 1, 2020 at 11:59 pm. This means No Domestic Brush Burning is permitted. Use of fire pits which are no wider than 0.5 m in diameter, and backyard appliances (like chimneys) are permitted for households but must follow the posted burning restrictions updated at 2pm daily. Municipal bylaws must also be followed.

Check with Lands and Forest BEFORE having a fire.

• Lands and Forest’s Wildfire Fighters are ready to respond to fire emergencies.

• The public can report wildfires by calling 1-800-565-2224.

What is the fire ban?

The ban prohibits open fires for any purpose in woods or within 305 metres (1,000 feet) of woods in any part of the province. Bans on open fires are enacted as needed to protect the heath of the province’s forests during periods of high risk.

Why are open fires banned?

The ban is a temporary measure to reduce the risk of wildfires and potential damage to homes and properties during the pandemic.

When does the ban come into effect?

The ban is in effect from March 23 to (at least) June 1, 2020.

Will the ban end before June 1st?

The ban will be re-evaluated and may be lifted, continued or extended, depending on conditions at the time. Check with your local Fire Department or the Provincial Fire Control BEFORE having a fire.

What about burning in chimneys, fire pits, and other backyard burning appliances?

If the fire is not in an enclosed CSA approved appliance, the fire is considered to be an open fire and is not permitted.

Does the ban apply to private campgrounds?

The ban does not apply to private campgrounds.

Do I still need to check burn restrictions each day?

No. The ban on open fires is in force all the time. We’ve also updated the provincial BurnSafe map to show burning is no longer permitted.

Is the province prepared to deal with wildfires? What is the risk?

Nova Scotians are safe. The province continues to operate all essential services, including wildfire response, during the pandemic. Our fire crews are highly skilled and ready to respond to emergencies.

The risk of wildfires is highest during the spring, and the ban on open fires is a precautionary measure that will reduce the number of calls they must respond to and help us maintain our firefighting resources.

How will the ban be applied?

Every Nova Scotian is asked to follow the burn ban and not create unnecessary risk in these challenging times.

What should I do if I see someone burning during the ban period?

Call 911 if it is an emergency or the fire is out of control. Call 1-800-565-2224 to report an unsafe burning practice.

Who do I contact for more information on the ban?

Call your nearest Lands and Forests office for assistance or more information on the burn ban or safe burning practices.